Dying to try oxtail, too? Now you can! We can be Chefs At Home with Chef Lalo’s recipe for his Oxtail and Toasted Polenta Appetizer as featured on Nationally Syndicated Radio Show, Home Wizards!
- 5 lbs Oxtail
- 1 yellow onion
- 3 large carrots
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 oz. whole garlic cloves
- 5 Dried Guajillo Chile Peppers (puree)
- Salt and pepper
- Set oven to 350 degrees. In a large skillet, sear oxtail with chopped carrots and half the onion, chopped, for 10 minutes. Add Guajillo puree, wine, salt, and pepper and bay leaves and set in oven for 5 hours.
- Guajillo Puree – In a pot, boil the dried guajillo peppers, half of the chopped yellow onion, and one ounce of garlic and, when softened, puree in food processor. Add the puree to the oxtail.
- 2 cups polenta
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 4oz. butter
- 1 cup milk
- Salt & pepper
- Toast the polenta in a saute pan.
- In a saucepan, add milk, butter, stock, salt and pepper and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add polenta to liquids in a thin stream, stirring constantly for 2 minutes or until thick – should look like mashed potatoes.
- Remove from heat. Top with the braised oxtail and serve.