Kick ants, mosquitoes, slugs and more to the curb with these home remedies.
It’s that time of year when the bugs are out to feast – on us! When basking outside for a BBQ or finding an infestation inside the home, you’ll want to be aware of all the ways you can keep pests away. Thankfully, there are many natural home remedies for beating bugs. Not only are they safer than chemical repellant, but chances are you already have a natural green repellant stashed away in the kitchen without realizing it! Here are 10 ways to beat bugs and kick them out of the house for good.
1. Baby PowderThis is a great repellant that will keep both ants and bees away. Sprinkle it around problem areas to keep pests at bay!
2. Grow HerbsCitronella, catnip, lavender and peppermint are just a few herbs that naturally repel bugs. Keep herbs growing at points of entry, or crush and rub some leaves on your skin when going outside. Bugs will hate the scent and stay away.
3. Get a Bat HouseBats love to eat insects, so welcome them to a tree in your yard to keep that food chain in check. Take down the bug population so you'll have less to worry about.
4. Essential OilsLike herbs, the scent of essential oils will repel insects. Fill a spray bottle with essential oils and spritz it wherever bugs come in. Also spray on linens and sheets to kill dust mites and for a bonus pleasant scent.
5. White VinegarVinegar is an excellent repellant! When mixed with water (1 part vinegar, 1 part water will do), it can be sprayed on patio furniture or on skin to keep mosquitoes and pests away. Even safely spray on plants in your garden, but make sure the vinegar is diluted well in ...
6. CedarCedar repels a lot of insects, including fleas. Spray areas of the home with cedar oil as a repellent. You can throw a block of cedar wood or shavings in a drawer or box to keep an area safe from pests.
7. CinnamonAnts can't stand cinnamon, so sprinkle some wherever you find them roaming or entering the home. Have a sugar bowl exposed to the little critters? Surround it with cinnamon!
8. CitrusIf you have a home invasion, take citrus rinds after a snack and rub down your furniture or floors with them! It'll kick out the pests that hate the scent.
9. BeerIf you have slugs in your garden, you can easily trap and kill them with beer. Fill a glass half-way with beer, and they'll be attracted to it to the point of drowning!
10. Soybean oilAnother household oil that will keep mosquitoes away, soybean oil will last longer than other bug repellant--especially when mixed with essential oils like those already mentioned. Spray yourself or furniture to keep from being eaten alive!