Mouth watering? You’re in luck! We can be Chefs At Home with these recipes for a Standing Rib Roast Complete With Three Side Dishes.
Eric’s Standing Rib Roast
- 1 standing rib roast (6 pounds), Fat trimmed in 1 strip and reserved
- 2 ½ cups red wine
- 2 ½ cups beef stock
- 1 Tablespoon rosemary
- 1 Tablespoon thyme
- Roasted Garlic Cloves
- Heavy cream
- Separate the heads of roasted garlic into cloves and squeeze the roasted garlic out of the peels.
- Place the garlic in a small bowl and mash with the back of a fork until mostly smooth.
- Add 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, the rosemary and thyme, and stir to blend.
- Pat this mixture evenly over the top and sides of the roast.
- Place the trimmed strip of fat over the garlic-herb mixture and tie with kitchen string in several places to secure the fat onto the top of the roast.
- Season the roast all over with the remaining 2 1/2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon of pepper.
- Place the roast in a roasting pan and add 1 1/2 cups red wine and 1/2 cup beef stock to the bottom of the pan.
- Roast for 20 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to 350 degrees F and continue to roast to the desired degree of doneness, about 18 minutes per pound for rare and 22 minutes per pound for medium.
After removing from oven:
- Let stand at least 5 minutes before carving.
- De-fat the pan juices and serve alongside the beef.
- If making au jus, place the roasting pan on the stove burners over medium-high heat.
- Add 1 cup red wine and scrape the browned bits on the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon.
- Add 2 cups beef stock and season with salt and pepper.
- Continue to cook until the wine is reduced by half, about 5 minutes.
- Strain the sauce through a sieve to remove the solids before serving.
- De-grease, if necessary.
Green Bean Casserole
- Green beans
- Button mushrooms
- Red sweet peppers (sliced)
- Olive oil
- Soy sauce or Balsamic vinegar
- Onion wedges
- Dry bread crumbs
- Brown sugar
- 6 oz. Soft Cream Cheese
- 6-8 oz goat cheese
- Start with fresh whole beans trimmed ( can also use frozen green beans) Cook in a small amount of boiling water enough to cover for 3 minutes.
- In a casserole dish combine green beans with fresh button mushrooms and slice red sweet pepper. Toss with olive oil and soy sauce or balsamic vinegar to coat. Roast at 275 for 15 min.
- Sweeten onion wedges by sautéing in olive oil and brown sugar just until tender. Toss cooked onions with dry breadcrumbs and coast for classic onion ring crispiness. For a note of tanginess, blend softened cream cheese with goat cheese. Toss with warm vegetables and place in baking dish. to with onions. Bake in 400 for 5 – 8 minutes until heated through.
- Sprinkle fresh parsley over top.
Potatoes Au Gratin with Gruyere
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 ½ lbs Yukon gold potatoes (3 medium and thinly sliced)
- 3 oz. gruyere cheese (3/4 cup) shredded
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease shallow 4 cup baking dish or 9 inches glass pie plate set aside.
- In 3 qt saucepan combine half and half, ground red pepper and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Heat to boiling over medium high heat. Add potatoes and cook 2 to 3 minutes until half and half mixture thickens slightly stirring with heat safe spatula.
- Transfer half potato mix to prepared gratin dish; sprinkle evenly with 1/2 Gruyere. Top with remaining potato mixture and remaining Gruyere. Bake gratin 35-40 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender and top is golden and bubbly.
Grapefruit Jicama Cabbage Salad
- 2 cup red cabbage shredded
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 T rice wine vinegar
- 1 T sugar
- 1 Teaspoon garlic
- 1 Small chile pepper or dried red pepper
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 cup shredded jicama
- ½ cup shredded carrot
- 2 teas olive oil
- ½ cup chopped mint leaves
- ¼ cup chopped candied pecans
- 2 grapefruit slices (Can be canned or fresh)
- Shred red cabbage in a bowl. In another other bowl add ¼ cup of soy sauce, 1 T rice wine vinegar, 1 teaspoon of Garlic powder, 1 T sugar and 1 teaspoon lime juice or to taste test.
- Add 1 cup shredded jicama.½ cup shredded carrot, and 2 teaspoons olive oil. Add salt an pepper to taste.
- Add ½ cup chopped mint leaves, ¼ cup candied pecans or walnuts, and grapefruit slices on top.